I have some transparent resin parts printed with a polyjet printer. Where the support contacted the part it has a matte finish. The recommended finishing technique for these parts is to sand them with sandpaper, but the geometry of my part makes that very difficult. What alternatives to sanding do I have, to give these parts a glossy finish?

I'm looking for techniques appropriate to a home or small office environment. A technique that needs special equipment bigger than a desk is probably not going to work for me.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ "paint" with a solvent? or, paint a thin layer of resin and re-expose? $\endgroup$ Jun 25, 2019 at 14:34
  • $\begingroup$ i've used a rock tumbler to smooth prints, but that smooths the whole thing. maybe you could tape over the areas that need detail preserved... $\endgroup$
    – dandavis
    Jun 25, 2019 at 21:17
  • $\begingroup$ @dandavis A tumbler is a good idea, but what i'm trying to do is turn my small, flat, matte surfaces into glossy surfaces, so taping over those surfaces in the tumbler won't help with that. $\endgroup$
    – Dan Hulme
    Jun 26, 2019 at 9:05

1 Answer 1


desktop tumbler/brass polisher, rotary rock tumblers are probably a better option than a small sandblasting cabinet. choose your abrasive material from there, a coarse sand is probably not what you want but there are walnut based things and finer grit materials that should be able to get a nice shine. if you would rather do it manually and geometry allows you can try a dremel-type rotary tool with a buffing wheel or similar

  • $\begingroup$ The rotary rock tumbler method has not worked for me, neither has the acetone bath $\endgroup$
    – K Mmmm
    Dec 12, 2019 at 20:35
  • $\begingroup$ @KMmmm, Try different media until you get a result you can live with. Some people use Silicon Carbide in their tumbler. $\endgroup$
    – user77232
    Dec 13, 2019 at 13:46

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .