I recently bought a second hand Turnigy Fabrikator Mini V2, which, as far as I can tell, is a rebrand of the Malyan M100. After my first few prints I noticed that my prints were very stringy and the filament really didn't want to stick to the bed.
I asked a guy who has quite a bit of experience with 3D printing what could be the problem. He took a look at my benchy print and said it was way too light for a benchy and recommended I'd look at my feedrate (I think the setting is called). So, in repetier host, I told the printer to extrude 50 (I am assuming this is mm, this interface is a little wierd), I am also assuming that this number is the amount of fillament going into the printer, not the amount that comes out of the nozzle. So, I measured that, and it did seem that the amount of fillament going into the printer in was definately a lot less than 50 mm.
As far as I understand this is a setting in the EEPROM. So, I connected to it using minicom (generic USB commandline interface) and sent the command
M503, and after doing that, I got a bunch of settings in my terminal (formatting was a mess though and I am not sure if it was complete). After sending this command a second time, nothing happened and after a lot of disconnecting and connecting of the USB cable I figured out that this works only sometimes. I can't figure out how to get it to work consistently (
G28 to home the printer always just works though).
I also tried connecting to the printer with other applications like for example Pronterface, but I haven't had any success with anything except for Repetier-host on Windows (I usually use Linux).
So then because I'd like to be able to change EEPROM settings and because I'd like to interface with the printer on Linux I decided that it might be a good idea to update the firmware. So, as a first step, I want to know what firware it is currently running. I couldn't find much information on the Malyan website, (I found a firmware download button that returned a 404) and I also couldn't find much on HobbyKing (the website that used to sell this printer). So, then I tried to send it the
M115 command, and yet again, I got nothing back from the printer (I don't know if I never get a response or if I'd get something back after a hundred attempts).
So, now my questions are: what do I do from here? Do I just assume my printer uses some version of Marlin? I remember hearing that a lot of manifacturers just grab off the shelf open source firmware. Is there any way I could get a clue about what it is running? I know there is an stm32 on the pcb so that may be a hint. Could I put something like Marlin on it even if it wasn't running that initially? is that even a good idea? I am assuming I'd at least have to tell it the pin mapping.
Here are images of 2 of the benchy's I printed. I stopped one of them half way through. The other one was my first print and the print speed was way too fast. I also did another print with slower settings but I can't find that one right now (that one was kinda stringy).
As a clarification of my question. As far as I know I have an under extrusion problem, and this is a problem that should (as far as I know) be fixed by changing the extrusion rate in firmware. My problem is that I don't know how to change this setting as I don't even know what firmware it is running. On top of this, when I try sending commands like
M503 I get really inconsistent responses. I came to the conclusion of putting new firmware on it because I can think of no other way to fix this problem.
The right question here is probably: how do I change the extrusion rate in the firmware of this specific printer. (Any other solutions are welcome too of course. I have thought about just telling the slicer to compensate in the other direction but as far as I've read it is generally not a good solution to just say in your G-code to compensate for the under extrusion)
So, today I did a lot of testing. And I concluded that when I just insert some fillament into the printer and it hasn't reached the nozzle yet, it extrudes the right amount, but when it reaches the nozzle it just extrudes a lot less. So it seems to be a mechanical problem. I can change the extrusion command to actual extrusion ratio by extruding slower or by increasing the heat of the nozzle. But I have to go quite slow
G1 F50 E50 to get anywhere near the right amount of extrusion (still a little more than half a cm short in this case). I did some test prints and it definately seems to make a difference to print slower. These cubes were printed with the one on the right being printed at a little less than half the speed as the one on the right.
I guess it has come to troubleshooting the actual physical extruder (or is this stuff normal and am I just supposed to print at slow speeds on this printer).
The printer is using one of those extruders where the fillament is fed into a tube leading to the nozzle.
The round thingey seems to be turning but it doesn't seem to grip the fillament well enough.