I've been looking at the Ender series and decided to take the plunge. But I'm unsure on electrical matters. The 110 or 220 volt switch, I assume goes to 220 V as I live in the UK but my main question is, from what I've read they come with an EU plug and a uk adapter, is it safer to switch to a 'kettle lead' for it to have it's own fuse and be grounded or is the adapter it comes with fine? (I've never been a fan of adapter and I've read in different places that they're fine or that they are horrible.)

Please help as if I need to buy a cable I'll do it the same time I buy the printer. Thank you all in advance for any help I get, hope to join this community properly as soon as the printers come back in stock anywhere.


2 Answers 2


The fuse may be academic, because there might be an integrated fuseholder in the PSU itself. That said, adding another fuse in the form of a proper UK plug certainly won't hurt.

I'd certainly do this, too. Fuseless plugs have no place in my home/workplace

For the rest - yes, the 220V position for the switch is good. Grounding, again, certainly can't hurt, but the PSU is probably double-insulated, which doesn't require it.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ The PSU is definitely not double insulated and absolutely requires grounding. $\endgroup$ Commented May 6, 2020 at 4:31
  • $\begingroup$ @TomvanderZanden How can it even be legal to supply it in the EU without a ground connection, then? (OP said that a UK plug would add grounding, so I was assuming that the plug supplied was two-pin) $\endgroup$
    – SiHa
    Commented May 6, 2020 at 7:01
  • $\begingroup$ Technically, the cord that comes with the machine is not the 2-pin "Europlug" but Type F/ Shuko/ CEE 7/3, which does NOT fit the Type G used in Britain. $\endgroup$
    – Trish
    Commented May 6, 2020 at 9:49
  • $\begingroup$ Thanks, I thought if no one answered then I'd just use a uk plug anyway (better safe than sorry) and you've just made that decision definite for me. Thanks so much. $\endgroup$ Commented May 6, 2020 at 16:14

Safety First!

To guarantee proper grouning and avoid putting the machine on a static charge level against the ground of the house you need to properly connect the ground wires to the ground wire of the house. This is done by using a grounded power cord with a C13-plug on the machine end and a proper, grounded plug fitting your sockets on the other end.

Proper plugs

In most of the continental EU (safe France), you usually can use a Shuko (Schutzkontakt) TypeF/CEE 7/3 while the Type E+F/CEE 7/7 plug adds France on the house end, as these are proper grounded 3-wire plugs. But in the UK you need a Type G/BS 1363 plug, with or without a fuse.


Because the machine operates on mains voltage in the PSU, it usually already has a fuse mounted inside the PSU, so a fused plug is not strictly needed, however it is not a bad idea to include an extra fuse - technically you'd end with 3 in total if you are properly grounded because the circuits breaker-box fuse is there too.

Wire Extensions

What would be a bad idea though is to use any extension cord in the wiring that is not grounded because it might use a plastic ground pin or lack the metal contact surface needed to ground the cord.

Improper plugs

A 2-wire "Europlug". Europlug CEE 7/16 is only rated for 250V/2.5A and not grounded, thus it is not suitable for operating a 3D printer , and I strongly advise not to use a gritish folding plug either as it is not grounded!

Safety Mantra!

Let me reiterate this: Only use grounded connections from machine to socket or you risk creating a charge on the machine!

Check your socket's ground if you are not sure it is properly installed. For further information, I strongly suggest watch Angus (Makers Muse) with how he discovered a problem with his extension cords leading to a potential dangerous charge on his machine and DIY3D Tech explaining the basics of the problem and how to solve it to you again!


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .