I have a Lulzbot Taz 6, which takes 2.85 mm filament. A few months ago I ran into a filament (Spidermaker Matte PLA) which produced some really nice prints. After experimenting with the white, I went looking for more and discovered that they have apparently discontinued all 2.85 filament.
I discovered this page on the Lulzbot site which says it is possible to print using 1.75 filament, and I decided to try this out. The settings used:
- Diameter - 1.75 mm
- Retraction speed 3 mm/s (instead of 10)
- print speed 30 mm/s (instead of 60)
This fails, but it is tantalizingly close. At first, I could get only a couple layers before the filament stopped extruding. I tried increasing the temperature by 10 °C (to 215 °C), and this seemed to help, but I would still see it stop extruding after 10-20 layers. It feels tantalizingly close to working, and I'm wondering what else I might try.