I have purchased a replacement bed for my 3D printer. I wish to have it mounted on a single linear rail.

Currently I am unable to drill properly into aluminum (due to problems with my drill).

Therefore, I'd like to print and use an adapter piece/plate to fasten the Y-carriage to the linear rail block. The bed has a thermal insulation foam so the area around the bottom of the Y-carriage plate/bed assembly doesn't seem to go over 60 °C.

My question is:

  • Which material should I use for this adapter piece, and why? (I have access to PLA, PETG and ABS.)
  • Should I use threaded inserts or fasten the Y-carriage with nuts?

Please see the image below to have an idea as to what I mean by an adapter.

enter image description here

  • $\begingroup$ What is a heated insert? Are you talking about something like this? $\endgroup$
    – Rykara
    Mar 19 at 17:03
  • $\begingroup$ Yes I am @Rykara $\endgroup$
    – Phil
    Mar 20 at 20:16
  • 4
    $\begingroup$ Borrow a drill from someone else. Printing a mounting plate like that would be a terrible idea due to the limited stiffness of plastic, especially at above ambient temperatures. $\endgroup$
    – Ezra
    Mar 20 at 20:59

Any thermoplastic is a bad choice to carry a heated bed. For an unheated bed, monolithic (cast, not printed) acrylic plate of sufficient thickness can be used.

To get the needed stiffness and temperature resistance, steel plate of about 2+mm is the best choice, followed by aluminium of a higher thickness. The latter can be sawed with woodworking equipment, if done slowly.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.