I just got an Ender 3 Pro for Christmas and, aside from firmware, I have made no changes to it whatsoever. Until yesterday, my printer was running all prints flawlessly. The only thing that changed was the filament, but I don't think that's the issue because the problem only starts to occur at a certain Z height.
What I've ensured:
- The firmware is up to date
- The filament is dry the X, Y, and Z axis all have no bumps or obstructions (lead screws and belts are fine; wheels and bolts all good, etc.)
- I have the right temperature (200 °C as printed on my PLA filament's label)
- The filament is not tangled
- There is no nozzle jam
- I have retraction enabled properly in my Ultimaker Cura settings
- The file is not corrupt (I've remade it, re-installed Ultimaker Cura, reformatted my SD card, etc.)
- The extruder is not slipping or chewing into the filament
- My bed is leveled
What I've noticed aside from the crappy prints:
- There's an intermittent "thump" sound coming from the extruder, that as far as I can tell, is caused by the wheels "snapping back" suddenly sometimes.
- The filament seems to be from a cheap Chinese brand: Sunlu.
Images of a good print and a bad print. These are the same version of the same G-code file printed at the same settings on the same printer in the same conditions. (EDIT: I removed the good print images because of a logo they contained that I am trying to limit public exposure to.)