Am wondering if anybody knows what type of sensor this is (from a build plate).

enter image description here

Perhaps a thermocoupler? The colouring of the wires seems to suggest it is not directional?

Would like to know details so that I can make use of it in my own projects.


It is quite likely not a thermocouple, but a thermistor:

  • A thermocouple would look like a small blob of metal. The tip of your temperature sensor appears to be a glass bead, which is a commonly used way to encase thermistors.

  • Thermocouples are polarized. The fact that the wiring is not "directional" suggests it is a thermistor.

  • Thermocouples are used in high-temperature applications (such as a high-temperature hotend for printing specialty materials), where a thermistor would break down. The bed is not such a high-temperature application.

You can easily verify this with a multimeter. If it was a thermocouple, its resistance would be near zero. With a thermistor, you should see a decent amount of resistance (most 3D printing thermistors are 100k at room temperature).

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Yes, the multimeter says 96k ohm. $\endgroup$ – Tomas By Aug 12 '18 at 8:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.