To check my leveling etc. is correct I was going to print a wide and thin cube. My theory being that I should be able to spot any obvious separation of the layers.

Does anyone have any better shape that they print as a dry run?


Your calibration shape depends on what you want to calibrate on. Among the most popular:

  • Benchy as a general "overall" test.
  • Lattice Cubes for retraction/stringing and overall quality.
  • Two pillars to test for stringing and temperature/cooling control.
  • Spikes for retraction, stringing and temperature/cooling control.
  • Bridges for cooling control.
  • Cubes for sizing. They also allow seeing if the printer is skewed in X or Y.
  • Circles, crosshairs, and squares of just a couple layers high to determine the correct center of the print area and measure sizing.
  • Cylinders in each other to check the achievable resolution and clearance.
  • Overhang tests to test just overhangs.
  • Temperature towers for temperature and overhang.
  • Impact1 & Bend & Tension test pieces for filament properties - if you have the setups needed.

1 - I couldn't find a proper model for an ISO 148-1 Charpy pendulum impact test in thingieverse

  • 2
    $\begingroup$ Great list, although one not mentioned is a calibration square to measure diagonals in order to test the skewness. This is typically a large square only a few layers tall. $\endgroup$ Dec 20 '18 at 17:29
  • $\begingroup$ Lots of useful stuff there. How doe the bridge to test cooling control work though? $\endgroup$
    – BanksySan
    Dec 20 '18 at 20:10
  • $\begingroup$ @BanksySan If the bridge fails or sags too much, you need more cooling. $\endgroup$
    – Trish
    Dec 20 '18 at 20:33
  • $\begingroup$ @Trish and print slower. $\endgroup$
    – 0scar
    Mar 7 '19 at 14:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.